Botswana Border Posts

Border Post Hours Botswana

Border Post Hours Botswana


Derdepoort (Sikwane):      

Groblersburg (Martin's Drift):   

Kopfontein (Tlokweng):       


McCarthy's Rest:  





Skilpadshek (Pioneer Gate):     

Stockpoort (Parr's Halt):      

Swartkopfontein (Ramotswa):

Twee Rivieren (Two Rivers): 


Botswana Customs


All persons arriving in Botswana are required to unreservedly declare all goods in their possession to a Customs official on duty on a baggage declaration document called, Form J. Customs has a duty to protect Botswana from illicit goods. To do this, checks may be made on travelers and their baggage. If you are stopped and your baggage checked, please co-operate, as we do not assume that you have done anything wrong. We pledge to treat you courteously and professionally.
Baggage Declaration
When making baggage declarations, whether verbal or written, you must ensure that you declare all goods in your possession as well as their correct values. Failure to declare goods and their correct values can lead to seizure of your goods and can result in criminal prosecution or the imposition of severe penalties of up to three times the value of the goods. 

What You Must Declare

• All goods acquired outside Botswana in your possession, including items you received as gifts, such as wedding or birthday presents. 
• Repairs or alterations to any items or vehicle you took abroad and then bring back, even if the repairs/alterations were performed free of charge. 
• Items you bought in any duty-free shop including such items bought duty-free on aircraft or ship. 
• Items you are bringing home for someone else. 
• Items you intend to sell or use in your business. 

To Avoid Delays with Baggage Declarations

• Please produce all receipts and sales slips for goods purchased outside Botswana. 
• If you are unsure of the goods and values, which you should declare, ask for assistance from the customs officer.
Duty Free Allowances
Customs duties are not charged on the following goods imported as accompanied or unaccompanied passengers’ baggage: 

• Personal effects, sporting and recreational effects, new or used – 
o imported by non-residents of Botswana for their own use; 
o imported by persons making a bona-fide change of residence to Botswana. 
o Exported by residents of Botswana for their own use whilst abroad and subsequently re-imported by such residents. The goods must be identifiable as those exported from Botswana. 
• The following articles and consumables (excluding any goods the importation of which is prohibited), declared at the place where the traveller enters Botswana and not imported on behalf of other persons or by way of trade, may be admitted free of duty and, where applicable, Value Add Tax (VAT). 
o Wines - 2 liters 
o Spirituous and other alcoholic beverages - 1 litre 
o Cigarettes - 200 
o Cigars - 20 
o Cigarette or pipe tobacco - 250 gms 
o Perfume - 50 ml 
o Toilet water - 250 ml 
o Other new or used goods of a total 
• Value not exceeding (from outside SACU) - 3000 UA* 
o Other new or used goods of a total 
• Value not exceeding (from SACU) - 500 UA* 
*UA is equivalent to One South African Rand. 

Additional goods imported from outside SACU, new or used of a total value not exceeding 12 000 UA* per person, excluding the consumable items detailed above, are admissible at a flat rate of 20%, if the owner so elects. 


• Duty will be payable at the applicable rates where travellers import goods exceeding the above allowances. Travellers importing goods for business or commercial purpose will not qualify for the above allowances. 
• The concession for new and used goods specified above do not apply to such goods imported by residents of Botswana returning after an absence of less than 48 hours; 
• With the exception of those relating to tobacco and alcoholic products, the concessions may be claimed by children under the age of 18 years, whether or not their parents or guardians accompany them, provided the goods are for use by the children themselves.
Prohibited and Restricted Goods
Certain goods are prohibited or restricted to protect public health, domestic plant and animal life or the environment. We have been entrusted with enforcing laws for other government agencies relating to the prohibition and restriction of such goods. It is not possible to list all prohibited and restricted goods. If you are in any doubt whether the importation of other goods is prohibited or restricted, please contact your nearest customs office in Botswana before travelling outside the country. 

Prohibited Goods

The importation of, among other things, the following goods into Botswana is completely prohibited. It is illegal to be found in possession of prohibited goods and may result in seizure and prosecution. These include: 

• Narcotic, habit-forming drugs and related substances in any form. 
• Military firearms, ammunition and explosives 
• Indecent and obscene material such as pornographic books, magazines, films, videos, DVDs and software 

Restricted Goods

These are goods, which you cannot import without authority such as a licence or a permit. Further details regarding restrictions on the importation of agricultural products can be obtained from the Director of Animal Health and Production, Private Bag 0032, Gaborone and the Director of Crop Production and Forestry, Private Bag 003, Gaborone. 

The following consumer goods may be imported for private use without an import permit provided they do not exceed the maximum allowable quantities. 

Products Maximum Quantity
Red meat, goat/lamb 
Poultry meat 
Tinned poultry meat 
Fresh milk 
Maize and maize products 
Pulses (beans, peas, lentils) 
Sorghum and sorghum products 
Bread loaves
25 kg per family 
5 kg per person 
20 kg per person 
36 eggs per person 
2 liters per person 
25 kg per person 
25 kg per person 
25 kg per person 
25 kg per person 
1 bag per person 
1 bag per person 
1 bag per person 
1 bag per person 
1 box per person 
2 kg per person 
2 kg per person 
2 kg per person 
6 per week

The regulations on importing meat and meat products change frequently because they are based on disease outbreaks in different countries, always ask your nearest customs office before importing meat and meat products.
Domestic Pets
Importing animals is closely regulated for public health reasons and also for the well being of the animals. Domestic pets and livestock may be imported subject to animal health restrictions. Details in this regard can be obtained from the Director of Animal Health and Production, Private Bag 0032, Gaborone. 

Note: A valid Certificate of Identity, Rabies Vaccination and Movement Permit issued in Lesotho, Malawi, South Africa, Swaziland, Namibia or Zimbabwe will be accepted at the time of importation into Botswana.
Plants and Soil
These may be imported subject to plant health restrictions. Details in this regard can be obtained from the Chief Agricultural Research Officer, Private Bag 0033, Gaborone. 

Note: South African transit permits may also be required in respect of plants shipped through South Africa. Details may be obtained from the Director of plant Control and Quarantine, Private Bag X179, Pretoria, South Africa. 

Soil is considered the loose surface material of the earth in which plants, trees and scrubs grow. In most cases the soil consists of disintegrated rock with an admixture of organic material and soluble salts. The importation of soil is prohibited unless accompanied by an import permit from the Director of Crop Production and Forestry, Private Bag 003, Gaborone.
Motor Vehicles and Boats
No boat, mokoro or aquatic apparatus may be imported into Botswana unless the owner is in possession of an Import Permit issued by Department of Water Affairs. 

Non-residents visiting Botswana and coming from a country outside the Southern African Common Customs Area for a limited period are normally required to produce a carnet, triptyque or bill of entry (any duty liability thereon being secured by bond or cash deposit) in respect of their motor vehicles. (Note: The Southern African Common Customs Area comprises Botswana, Lesotho, South Africa, Swaziland and Namibia) 

A simplified system involving a Temporary Import Permit is applied to motor vehicles, the bona fide property of a resident of Malawi, Mozambique or Zimbabwe, and a similar system is applied reciprocally between Zambia and Botswana. 

Residents of Botswana are not allowed to drive or use foreign registered vehicles in the Botswana for more than fourteen days after importation of such vehicle. If you are intending to do so please contact your nearest customs office for advice. Should you be found in possession of a foreign registered vehicle severe penalties including seizure of vehicles may be imposed.

Botswana Border Posts Hours

1.0  Import/export of products for personal consumption

There are standing bilateral agreements between the veterinary services of Botswana and South Africa and between Botswana and Namibia that allow for travelers moving across the three countries to carry with them limited amounts of animal products as part of personal luggage without the need for an import/export permit and intended for their personal use. Such products may not be sold or disposed of in any way other than by own consumption / use.

Please find below the products and quantities allowed into Botswana without a South African or Namibian veterinary export certificate provided they originate from FMD free areas of the respective countries:

Product/ Commodity

Quantity Allowed

(per passenger vehicle)

  • Raw or frozen meat and meat from domesticated species (e.g. beef, mutton, poultry and fish)
Up to 25 kg
  • Other processed meats (canned, cooked, polony, brawn, pies etc)

Up to 25 kg with RSA and up to 10 kg with Namibia

  • Biltong (excluding game biltong)

Up to 10 kg and break dry

  • Dairy products (Long Life/UHT, Cheese)
Up to 10 kg or liters of dairy products
  • Eggs
Up to 2½ dozens

Pork, venison and meat from wild pigs require application for veterinary import permit regardless of the quantity. All animal products from Namibia are NOT allowed into Botswana through Ngoma border without a permit regardless of the quantity. All quantities exceeding the stipulated will require a Botswana veterinary import permit and a Namibian or South African veterinary export health certificate.

2.0       Importation of Inedible Animal Products for Own Use (FMD free Areas)

 The following products may be imported for own use from Namibia and South Africa without a Botswana veterinary import permit. Products must however be accompanied by a valid Namibian or South African veterinary export health certificate. A judgement has to be made whether the inedible items are for own use or for commercial purposes.

 Other products not listed may not be exported to Botswana from Namibia or South Africa for own use without a valid Botswana veterinary import permit and a corresponding export health certificate from originating country.

3.0  Products that have ceased to require permits/ certificates

 The following products do not require a Botswana veterinary import and export health certificate of originating country in the case of South Africa and or Namibia.  Products identified solely for human consumption and not intended for livestock feeding may require other permits from other authorities involved with food safety.

Where can I get more information?

 Since disease situation changes over time, importers are advised to check with the Department of Veterinary Services Permits Office Tel: 368 9468) before making arrangements to bring animal products into the country.  Animal products which are brought into Botswana without the necessary veterinary documents will be confiscated and destroyed without compensation, and offenders may be liable for prosecution. The Director does not accept any responsibility for the safety of products imported for own consumption.